Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DO CARE FOR YOUR HANDS

A lot of us take care of our face, but neglect our hands. I carry a little pot of Hand cream in my purse to put on my hands after I wash them. But I have a habit that was undoing all my hard work – washing dishes without wearing gloves. I usually do just a few dishes at a time, and it was too much work to put them on for just a mug or a lunch plate. But I’m wearing them every single time, from now on. The problem is that dishwashing liquid is alkaline, which is hard on the skin. The skin has a pH of between 4 and 6.5, which is slightly acidic. Dish washing liquid is extremely alkaline to dissolve grease and dirt. Unfortunately, that also strips your skin of its natural acid mantle, which is there to protect your skin. Harsh alkaline soaps age the skin. It's not just dishwashing soaps. A lot of big brand soaps (Camay, Dial, Irish Spring, Ivory, Palmolive and Zest) are also very alkaline, with pHs that range between 9 and 10. Dove is the mildest, with a pH of 7. It’s important to understand that a pH 8 soap is ten times more alkaline than a pH 7 soap. A pH 9 soap is ten times harsher than a pH 8 soap. So a pH ten soap is A THOUSAND.

No comments:

Post a Comment